Shrimp and Watermelon Ceviche
Submitted by: Chef Sam Dickey, The Granite Cafe -Austin, TX
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 1.5 c 16-20 count Wild Caught Texas shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 2 c fresh lime juice
- 20 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced small
- 3 serrano peppers, minced
- 1 Texas red onion, diced small
- 2 bunches Texas cilantro, cleaned, stemmed and chopped
- 1 Texas watermelon
- Kosher salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips
- Lime wedges for garnish
To cook, chop shrimp to 1/2 inch thick. Combine shrimp and 1.5 cups fresh lime juice and place in refrigerator for 24 to 36 hours until shrimp is no longer opaque. Drain, rinse and reserve.
For the pico, mix roma tomatoes, serrano peppers, red onion, cilantro, 2 tbsp lime juice, kosher salt and black pepper to combine. Dice 1.5 cups watermelon to 1/2 inch and set aside.
To assemble, mix 1.5 cups shrimp, 1.5 cups watermelon, 1.5 cups pico and 2 tbsp lime juice. Place in serving dish. Garnish with lime wedges and serve with chips.
- Louisiana Posts Weakest March Shrimp Landings in Last Fifteen Years
- Southern Shrimp Alliance Strongly Endorses H.R. 1907, the Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015
- FDA Crackdown on Contaminated Shrimp Continues – Historic Levels of Entry Line Refusals Surpasses All Previous Agency Experience