The Southern Shrimp Alliance Scholarship program is intended to reduce education costs for students with ties to the commercial fishing industry. Under this program, $2,000 will be allocated for funding scholarships in each of the eight states in which the southeastern shrimp industry operates (Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina). Individual Scholarships will be capped at $1,000, with two scholarships awarded per state. Funding is not tied to a specific area of study and is available for any post-secondary institution.
SSA’s scholarship application is a Google form and will ask you to sign-in.
Need a free Google account? Click here.
December 1, 2021
Application Due Date
March 1, 2022
Program Guidelines and Objectives
- Eligibility for the scholarship will be conditioned upon ties to the commercial shrimping industry with preference given to applicants with direct ties to SSA
- While funding is not tied to a specific area of study or institution, students must attend a post-secondary educational institution, which may include trade and vocational schools
- Scholarship funds will be contingent upon a post-secondary program’s acceptance letter and will be paid directly to the student during the month of August 2022 by check
- Applications will be released in December 2021 and are due to SSA no later than March 1, 2022
- Scholarships will be awarded through evaluation by a Selection Committee composed of members of SSA’s Board of Directors and will be announced in May 2022
- Award will include a complementary SSA membership for one year
Ready to apply? You will need:
- A free Google account to access the online application, upload files, and receive a confirmation receipt
- Basic information about your high school record and post-secondary educational institution
- A 500-word essay describing your relationship to the commercial shrimping industry (Word or PDF)
- A letter of recommendation from a non-family member (Word or PDF)
If you have any questions or require a paper version of the application, please call 727-934-5090.