The DMR includes offices responsible for Coastal Ecology, Coastal Management and Planning, Marine Fisheries, and Marine Patrol. Each of these offices is led by a director, all of whom are supervised by the Executive Director. In addition to supervising the offices, the Executive Director has the authority to internally reorganize the Department, establish qualifications for positions within the Department including the deputy director, office directors, biologists and other personnel. The Executive Director is also charged with:
-supervising and directing all administrative and technical activities of the Department;
– employing qualified professional personnel in the subject matter or fields, and such other technical and clerical staff as may be required for the operation of the Department;
– coordinating all studies in the State of Mississippi concerned with the supply, development, use and conservation of marine resources;
– preparing and delivering to the Legislature and the Governor, a full report of the work of the Department, including a detailed statement of expenditures of the Department and any recommendations the Department may have;
– entering into cooperative agreements with federal or state agencies in connection with studies and investigations pertaining to marine resources,
– enforcing all regulations and rules adopted by the Department and enforce all licenses and permits issued by the Department.
Applicants for this position must have an appropriate educational background and should have an excellent working understanding of and be firmly committed to the missions outlined for the DMR in all chapters of the Mississippi State Code. In addition, preference will be given for knowledge of the environment, issues, concerns, and management challenges that are specific to the Mississippi Gulf Coast and associated marine and estuarine waters. Applications, including a detailed resume and three (3) job references, should be submitted to:
Executive Director Applicant
Attention: Joseph Runnels
MS Department of Marine Resources
1141 Bayview Avenue, Suite 101
Biloxi, MS 39530
The CMR will receive applications through 5:00 p.m. on March 12, 2013. Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged via email. Applicants should be prepared to interview in the days immediately following this deadline. Applications will remain confidential. Thereafter the CMR will meet at a Special Called meeting in executive session and select not more than five highly qualified applicants to be interviewed by the CMR at a subsequently called meeting. Thereafter the names of the top three candidates will be submitted to the Governor for final selection.
The CMR sets the salary of the Executive Director. The salary range for the position is $83,427.13 to $108,455.27. For additional information contact Christy Royals, DMR Human Resources Director, at 228-374-5000 or 800-374-3449 or email her at Christy.Royals@dmr.ms.gov.
The Mississippi Department of Marine Resources is an Equal Opportunity Employer.